Sunday, March 24, 2013

Musings on Rulesets


It stands to reason that if I'm building a standalone RPG, I probably need some sort of rules. Given that I'm just one guy doing this in my spare-time, I'm generally leaning towards using a pre-published generic ruleset. As if by magic, there are 2 recently-completed Kickstarter campaigns with just such beasts:



The various quandaries I now face are thus:

I know little about these systems
Neither are published yet

Lastly, I DO know that another space-based RPG of high critical acclaim is based on FATE - Diaspora, so that makes me lean strongly towards FATE at the moment, particularly as Diaspora is a distant-future, sorta-dystopian thing going for it. Thus I don't feel like I'm just re-inventing the wheel. 

At any rate, at this point I really, really need to settle on a ruleset, as that unknown is getting rather hard to work-around.

No comments:

Post a Comment