Saturday, March 23, 2013

Trying Something a Little Bit Different

I've been playing tabletop RPGs for quite some time now, and I've always wanted to play an RPG that involved interstellar commodities trading. I wanted to play Han Solo (Or Chewie - he's cool too.) and wiz around the universe buying and selling, getting into adventures, dodging the authorities, keeping the pirates at bay. All that good stuff. If you've played "Wing Commander: Privateer" or any of the "Elite" games, you know just what I'm talking about.

The trick is that most of the published RPGs I've seen don't really support this kind of play-style - most space-based RPGs pay it a bit of lip-service, throwing a quick paragraph or two saying "and if you really wanted to, you could make a campaign out of delivering cargo" and then drops it like a hot potato.

To the GM in me, moving a shipment of stuff from one planet to another seems like a grand plot-hook. You get the PC's to go to a particular place at a particular time - allowing for a wealth of story options. You can throw complications in their way, or just allow them to make the delivery. They can load-up on other commodities and make some side-trips for more profit, or just get it there quick. Throw-in the option of doing bounty-hunting, or perhaps scouting missions, and we've got ourselves a nice little game with plenty of options.

At least that's what I'm trying to make. I've been dutifully churning-out content and debating a plethora of options in my head for the past couple months, and I think what I've got so far is pretty good. I'll be throwing various musings here as I come-up with them, and this will probably turn into a rough "developer's log" of what's new, why I did things, and other stuff I feel like writing.

Thanks for reading this far!
~MikeJ

No comments:

Post a Comment